OUTCOME SPECIFIC CLAY WORK COURSES
For those persons interested in very specific clay product outcomes, the following courses may be offered depending upon adequate interest, courses will be tailored to the level of expertise of most students as well as times available for the YADKIN VALLEY Clayworks Studio.
1. Bead Making and other ceramic jewelry forms - very simple bead making of multiples will be introduced via a new system requiring some special tools that are used by the YVCG program. The skill required to make these will be taught in the class to those with no experience in clay working. The beads will be total ceramic forms, unique to each person. A bisque firing is first done after drying, then the beads are glazed and then glaze fired. The glaze creates a glass surface on the bead. The techniques on how to achieve this process will be demonstrated in order that one may have their own set up after the class is completed with a moderate amount of investment. A six session course of three hours each is recommended to achieve the anticipated goals. More advanced classes may be offered once this course has proven successful. 6 sessions/3 hours per class Cost is $65
2. Tile making clayworks - tile making for architectural adornment is the aim of this course. Many variables exist in making tiles that are of adequate quality to actually use due to the nature of the material. This course will explore the many techniques of surface design used on tiles, i.e. drawing, relief, stencil, etc. with under glazes. The beginning class will focus on 4x4 inch and 6 x 6 inch tiles in attempting to get them level and accurate. The tile making courses will start with very simple approaches and advance in further classes with more complicated and sophisticated techniques and methods. Three levels of classes will be offered to take the beginner to more advanced offerings. 6 sessions/3 hours per class Cost is $68
3. Wind Chimes Clayworks - the class is geared to those that have completed the beginning novice course and understand how to work with the media. It will explore the many options to complete several sets of wind chimes and understand the technicalities of the construction. The course is recommended to take 6 sessions with 3 hour session. Cost is $68
4. Clay whistles and other musical objects - this class is tailored to the making of forms that will produce sound in a rhythmic manner. Many primitive cultures use this approach and it is a fun exploration of clay. 4 sessions/3 hours each Cost is $58
5. Ceramic Bird houses are nature friendly! The class will explore several different directions to hand-build bird houses and finish them with natural colored glazes. The first novice clay course should be completed for expediency and it is recommended that 8 sessions of 4 hours each will achieve good results. Cost is $100
6. Hanging vases for any where you could use one - indoors or out!!! These will be handbuilt and fired and glazed with either a contemporary or a heritage effect. Your imagination is the only limit to this venture. You may surprise yourself I what you are able to achieve and it is definitely therapeutic. 6 sessions/3 hours each. Cost is $68
7. Ceramic Boxes, both hand-built and wheel thrown in a variation of sizes with multiple surface decoration...make the most elegant decorative piece you can imagine!! 8 sessions/4 hours each. Cost is $80
8. Holiday time decorations, many ceramic items will grace your gift giving and home with special items you can make of clay;, i.e., cast balls to decorate individually, unique hanging ornaments, raku ornaments,...sample of many items for you to choose from to decorate with your own designs will be available...this class will be available from October through November at various times, call for further information 3 sessions/4 hours each. Cost is $55
9. Cups - exploring the cast number of executing a cup from which to drink or one to look at on a shelf!!! The fun of taking such a simple concept and making it into a work of art that may spark the viewer's imagination to broad horizons beyond their normal frame of reference. It may be totally real or total fantasy!!! 8 sessions/4 hours each. Cost is $85
10. Leaf bowls, platters or cups - natural motif forms create unique works that become a reality in your use of the common leaf, be it any species...it has a personality that you will find enchanting to make into a piece you may use for many years or give as a gift. Find your niche in clay with this design motif as inspiration. 4 sessions/3 hours each. Cost is $90
Contact us to inquire about taking an above course.